Re: Booting Problems

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Benjamin Pharr wrote:

> Hi guys, I'm having a bit of a problem with my laptop.  I'm not blaming it
> on any particular software or OS, but I thought someone might could help me
> out.  My laptop dual boots Win98 and Debian (testing) using LILO.  I can
> boot up into Linux any time I want to, no problem.  However, if I'm in
> Linux, or have been in Linux, I have to first enter Win98 in safe mode, and
> then reboot into normal mode.  If I try going in with normal before I use
> safe mode, it reboots halfway through loading windows.  However, if I
> haven't been in Linux since the last time I was in Win98, I can boot
> straight into Win98.  Any idea what could be going wrong?  Thanks in advance!

I haven't dual-booted or used Windows in quite a while, so my
guess may be off the mark.

Are you by any chance accessing the Windows partitions while using
Linux? It might (?) be reacting to changes in the Windows partitions.

Also, do you have the "Plug and Play" option turned off in the BIOS?
Maybe some settings are changed when you boot Linux. I encountered
a little weirdness when I used to use Windows and Linux on the same
box, turning off the "Plug and Play" option solved it. It's been
a long time, so I'm having trouble remembering exactly what the problem
was, I just remember that setting "Plug and Play OS" to "No" in the
BIOS solved the problem. Getting rid of Windows has also been effective,
but that might not be for everyone... :)

Good luck, I'm curious to find out what the solution is!

Take care,

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier