Re: /var/lib/dpkg/lock ?

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 07:39:50AM -0400, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> I am a Debian newbie attempting to use cron for apt.
>
> In the cron response mail message, I noticed the following
> lines, in response to, "apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade":
>
> E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily
> unavailable)
>
> E: Unable to lock the administration directory, are you root?
>
> The apt-get commands are placed in root's crontab.
>
> Then, at the command line as root, I again issued the command,
> "apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade"
[...]
> Am I supposed to delete this 'lock' file? Why is this occurring?

no, you have another apt-get somewhere that has a lock.  apt-get uses
fcntl() locking on this file, i suppose its possible that a cronned
apt segfaulted or otherwise abnormally died leaving the lock in
place.  (im not sure if fcntl() ever expires).  also do you have any
of this nfs exported?

run ps aufxww and look for apt-get or dpkg processes.

BTW: your Mail-Followup-To is broken, there is no user `barry' on my
system.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/