Re: applying _only_ security updates

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 03:32:20PM +1000, Price, Tim wrote:
> Regardless,
>
> Is it possible to do?
>
> I ask because I am running a potato system with many packages from woody,
> and some security packages take longer to get into testing then they do to
> get into stable.

in this context probabaly not.  security updates are never [0] new
upstream versions, rather they are the potato (stable) version with
the security fix backported.  since testing and unstable have almost
invariably newer versions of packages then what is in stable the
security update will never be installed by apt since its `obsolete'.

for a stable system where you only want security updates you can
comment out everything but security in sources.list, but this is quite
silly since stable never changes anyway (except on point releases
which are 99% moving contents of security.debian.org into the mainline
stable dist)

[0] there are very rare exceptions to this, when the security fix is
so complex and large and the new upstream is primarily intended to
provide that fix then it may be used instead of backporting.  bind's
recent fix was simply a new upstream version because there were so
many fixes and they were all non-trivial.

> CAUTION
>
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the addressee. The confidentiality and/or privilege in this e-mail is not waived, lost or destroyed if it has been transmitted to you in error. If you have received this e-mail in error you must (a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it; (b) please notify Australia Post immediately by return e-mail to the sender; and (c) please delete the original e-mail.

could you please turn off the lawyer before posting to the list?  you
might teach it to put a \n in every once in a while too.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/