2.4 kernel how good is it?

Hi All,

now that Adrian Bunk has created an apt method for upgrading to kernel 2.4 while running potato I've got a couple of questions I'd appreciate some help with.

1) Is it any better on low end machines?
I've got a swarm of 486's, p133's up to a p266 running 2.2.19 right now. Is 2.4 going to give me any recognisable performance boost on this kind of hardware? (i've heard virtual memory use is improved in 2.4 would that help these beasts with low ram but lots of swap?)

2) Will i need to re-do my modules? Particularly with the machine thats got the IDE cd writer i had to do some module voodoo, that i was uncomfortable with, to make it work. or will the upgrade handle that kind of thing? (I'm a cargo-cultist when it comes to modules)

3) Apart from the machine with the cd writer my needs are pretty mundane, address the HD's, talk to the network over currently supported NIC's and in one case run an IDE cd-burner would there be a preference between 2.4.2 and 2.4.3?

TIA

John