Re: good laptops

Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 03:35:23PM -0700, Paul Clifford wrote:
> > What are some good laptop vendors that will run Debian Linux reliably?
>
> I very much like my Sony VAIO XG-28.  It's one of the larger VAIOs, so
> avoid it if you're looking to go as small/light as possible.  Everything
> is very well supported by Linux.  I am running sid on it, with X
> 4.0.whatever-is-in-sid-now, kernel 2.4.3.  X 3.3.6 supports its video
> hardware fine too, though.  ALSA supports its sound hardware (Yamaha
> chipset).  I've never bothered with firewire or the Ir port, since I
> have no devices that use them.  Apparently there is some app or X server
> extension or something that allows you to use the little scrolly wheel
> thing on the side of the machine (the "jog dial").  I never bothered to
> look for it though.
>
> The only thing that is not supported at all is the internal winmodem,
> but I have almost forgotten that it's there.  I don't need modem access.
> I use a CableTron RoamAbout 802.11 wireless PC card and a LinkSys 10/100
> wired PC card for network connectivity.  The schemes subsystem in the
> pcmcia suite works very well for moving between networks and stuff.

I'll second this whole description except for the XG-29. Pretty much
the same situation. I used to have problems with older kernels/X
(described in a message by me on this list back in early Nov 2000), but
all of those problems have cleared up now. Great laptop.

--
Mike Brownlow                        http://www.wsmake.org/~mike/
1024D/8AA6EAFD 3861 96B3 EEA2 285C BE23  F706 3E1E EBB2 8AA6 EAFD