Re: good laptops

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 03:35:23PM -0700, Paul Clifford wrote:
> What are some good laptop vendors that will run Debian Linux reliably?

I very much like my Sony VAIO XG-28.  It's one of the larger VAIOs, so
avoid it if you're looking to go as small/light as possible.  Everything
is very well supported by Linux.  I am running sid on it, with X
4.0.whatever-is-in-sid-now, kernel 2.4.3.  X 3.3.6 supports its video
hardware fine too, though.  ALSA supports its sound hardware (Yamaha
chipset).  I've never bothered with firewire or the Ir port, since I
have no devices that use them.  Apparently there is some app or X server
extension or something that allows you to use the little scrolly wheel
thing on the side of the machine (the "jog dial").  I never bothered to
look for it though.

The only thing that is not supported at all is the internal winmodem,
but I have almost forgotten that it's there.  I don't need modem access.
I use a CableTron RoamAbout 802.11 wireless PC card and a LinkSys 10/100
wired PC card for network connectivity.  The schemes subsystem in the
pcmcia suite works very well for moving between networks and stuff.

Subscribe to debian-laptop.

noah