Re: newbie fighting with Helix Gnome

> Since I've been running "sid" and Ximian's Gnome packages, until I did
> an "apt-get dist-upgrade" yesterday, I saw no problems. Then, I ran into
> a similar problem as the original poster -- there was a debian package
> newer than the ximian one and it caused a brief headache.
>
> Why exactly shouldn't you mix the two ??
>
> Won't ximian normally have newer packages than debian, and therefore
> avoid a conflict ??

You can check previous posts about this subject.

Ximian does not support the unstable branch of Debian.  Furthermore, their
versioniong seems to be inconsistent (or at least troublesome) with the
"standard" Debian package versioning.

Finally, the unstable packages are usually more up-to-date.

    // joey tsai