Re: lists.debian.org: FAQ / tip-of-the-day

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 11:19:11PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 02:01:24PM -0400, Rob Mahurin wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 09:05:43AM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:
> > > What might help is a daily post to the list with a subject line
> > > "NEW TO LIST? READ THIS!!"
[...]
> daily is waaay too often. there's plenty of traffic on the list
> already... YET a periodic re-post is not a bad (or original)
> idea. many newsgroups publish their faq, sometimes multi-part
> faq's, monthly or quarterly.

Truth.

> > I imagine the following format:
> >
> > --- begin hypothetical message ---
> > Subject:  Frequently Asked Questions on debian-user
>
> nice start so far. add it to http://newbieDoc.sourceForge.net?

You must have left town for the weekend, Will; I expected you to ask
me that days ago.  I'll look at it.

> redundancy in mentioning a document source is NOT a bad thing.
> HOWTOs can be mentioned in fifteen different places on this FAQ
> document, and it won't hurt a thing.

Good point.  By the way, you should read the Linux HOWTOs.

> don't let anyone put a damper on this effort. it's important!
> (and when you're done -- we prefer sgml, docbook style, but we'll
> accept html -- add it to our itty-bitty library at newbiedoc over
> at http://sourceforge.net/projects/newbiedoc/ !)

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm keeping working drafts at
http://web.utk.edu/~rmahurin/debian-user-faq/faq.html ; s/faq.html//
for a little front matter.

Rob

--
QOTD:
	"A university faculty is 500 egotists with a common parking problem."