latex packages

Hi,

I have a program that comes with addiditional packages for latex2e. I want
to use them system wide (and not copy them to the current dir), so I made
a directory in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/maple and copied the files to
that directory. Unfortunately, latex does not see them. I also tried to
rename the directory to the package name (maple2e) and a few other things,
without succes.

Does latex contain a database somewhere, or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastiaan