ftp to gateway machine

Hi,

I have a computer connected to a cable modem, which then connects to a hub with two other computers on it. I use ipchains to share the connection. Connecting to anything external works great. However, if I want to ftp from one of the internal computers to the gateway machine, it takes a long time to connect and then the transfer speeds are pretty slow. I use 192.168.0.1 for eth1of the gateway computer, so that's the address I used for ftp. It appears that even though I use 192.168.0.1, it still connects using my ip address for eth0 (which is connected to the cable modem). I would have expected that going from my laptop (192.168.0.4) to the gateway would be really fast, especially since both ethernet cards are 10/100. Am I misunderstanding something? Any suggestions?

Thanks.