Re: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 10:48:57PM -0400, - wrote:
> >I don't know your parents well enough to comment on the
> >bastard part, but if you want to take without giving, that
> >pretty much is the textbook definition of selfish.
>
> What does this wise ass expect someone who knows very little
> about Linux to contribute to the Linux community?  Isn't
> describing the faults in itself a contribution?  Who knows the
> problems a beginner has better than the beginner?

there was nothing unique or particularly insightful from this
ranting weenie whose message was "stop what you're doing and
write better documents for me, right now". cmopare that with
brian's recent "the documentation is sparse, maybe we need to
come together and work on this..."

> Contrast this guy's attitude with that of others we see on the
> list.  What is he contributing?

the one who issued the textbook definition, helps folks here, a
lot. the one who drove him to the smarminess hasn't benefitted
anybody, yet (from what i've seen). no new bugs spotted, no new
ideas spawned, no new concepts spread, no new joy to share.

> Selfishness is also having something shareable and not being
> willing to share it.

selfishness is the root of all good.

i cannot benefit you tomorrow if i do not take pains to ensure my
own survival today. i can't help if i'm not here.

if i don't take time to keep my clients happy, i'll not be able
to afford to spend time at http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/ ...

it's in my own best interest to create more than i consume, to
operate at a profit -- otherwise, how could i possibly contribute
anything to anybody -- and thus it's better for you, too, that i
do so.

anything good in the human world was created by someone who
had the selfish thought "*I* would like it better if..."

--
don't visit this page. it's bad for you. take my expert word for it.
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com