Re: kernel NULL pointer

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 11:37:42PM +0200, David Jardine wrote:

| May I ask one more stupid question?  I don't understand the
| exact connection between kernel versions and distribution
| versions.  I tried to upgrade from slink to potato but found
| that the one thing I really needed (jdk) had been replaced by
| something else (jikes and kaffe) that I couldn't get working.
| Will I have problems if I try to install the stuff from my
| slink CDs on my potato system?

I think slink used libc5 which is incompatible with libc6.  You would
need the libc5 backwards-compatibility package.

Why is it that kaffe didn't work for you?  You might be able to get the
jdk for potato from the blackdown people.  I have heard that IBM's jvm
is really good.  jikes is a a good and fast compiler -- I use it at
work.

-D