Re: Network routing question

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 02:06:35PM +0200, Hans wrote:
| Some advice needed, before I mess up big time.

I'm not very experienced, but ...

| At school I want to do
| $route add default gw 192.168.1.1:902 eth0
| so that all packet requests are put on
| through the proxy/firewall.
|
| Now back at home I have to put the machine
| back in my own network.
|
| Q2: If I create a new default route
| ( $route add default gw 192.168.1.0 eth0 )
| will this suffice to get my machine back into my network and erase
| the old default route?

If you shutdown your laptop between school and home you should be ok
(that is, as far as the routing tables go).  Just typing "route add
..." changes the routing table at that point, but doesn't modify your
startup settings at all.  If you reboot the machine you will get your
previous settings back.  (say you are inexperienced and you try
several things with route not really knowing what you are doing and
get it really messed up,  rebooting will clear out all that changes
you made)

There is also a 'del' option for route.  You can delete the route for
the school network and then add the route for the home network if you
don't reboot your machine.

-D