Re: can't get volume

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 01:44:52AM -0400, Chris Gray wrote:

> What you didn't mention is the output from lsmod.  In the default
> kernels, sound isn't built in.  I don't know which module you'll have
> to use, but the general formula is to play around with
>
> # modprobe <module_name> <module_options>
>
> until you get something that works, and then to put
>
> <module_name> <module_options>
>
> into /etc/modules.

    Did that. As I mentioned, the cmpci module loaded perfectly, and the dmesg
output looks like the chip was detected.

poohbear:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
cmpci                  22608   0
soundcore               2440   4  [cmpci]
sis900                  8776   1
serial                 19640   0
vfat                    9408   0  (unused)
unix                   11336 592  (autoclean)

> If you've already done that and things still aren't working, then
> start thinking that the problem is with your software configuration.
> xmms defaults to use the "Disk Writer" plugin which won't make any
> noise.
>
> A fairly fail-safe program to use if xmms still isn't working is
> "play" in the sox package.  The command line is simple:
>
> $ play <wav_file>
>
> If that doesn't work, you should almost certainly go back to playing
> around with your hardware configuration (modprobe et al).  Keep on
> trying until you get something that works.

    Well, the applications seem to think that everything is working. xmms
plays, kmix works just fine and lists the card. It's not muted, the volume is
cranked, but no sound. I've only had that happen with alsa when the mixer
module didn't load, but we're not using alsa.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
"Please reboot for changes to take effect."