Re: can't get volume

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 01:44:52AM -0400, Chris Gray wrote:
>
>> What you didn't mention is the output from lsmod.  In the default
>> kernels, sound isn't built in.  I don't know which module you'll
>> have to use, but the general formula is to play around with
>>
>> # modprobe <module_name> <module_options>
>>
>> until you get something that works, and then to put
>>
>> <module_name> <module_options>
>>
>> into /etc/modules.
>
> Did that. As I mentioned, the cmpci module loaded perfectly, and the
> dmesg output looks like the chip was detected.

The chip being detected by the kernel and the module being loaded are
fairly separate things.  Rereading your post, though, I do see that
you mentioned that you did make the cmpci module.  Anyway...

> poohbear:~# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> cmpci                  22608   0
> soundcore               2440   4  [cmpci]
> sis900                  8776   1
> serial                 19640   0
> vfat                    9408   0  (unused)
> unix                   11336 592  (autoclean)

This is a bit strange.  I've got a "sound" module which uses the
soundcore module and is used by my sound card modules.  However, you
say that programs can use /dev/mixer, so I am going to guess that this
is probably not the problem.  Though I have seen sound cards where
modifying /dev/mixer did absolutely nothing.

Anyway, at this point you might try some random things like building
sound card support directly into the kernel.  I'm not sure how this is
going to change anything, but it's worth a try.

> Well, the applications seem to think that everything is
> working. xmms plays, kmix works just fine and lists the card. It's
> not muted, the volume is cranked, but no sound. I've only had that
> happen with alsa when the mixer module didn't load, but we're not
> using alsa.

Strange.  xmms is usually pretty picky about what it will play to.
The fact that it plays usually indicates that nothing is wrong with
your sound driver (i.e. open() is returning a good file descriptor,
write() is working, etc.).

So you're sure there can be nothing wrong with the hardware?  Make
sure the card is plugged in fully, that the speakers are connected to
the correct outlet on the sound card, that the speakers have their
volume turned all the way up, and that the speakers are plugged in to
a working electrical socket.  I've probably spent hours looking for
software / kernel problems when one of these "simple" things was
really to blame.

Good luck,
Chris

--