startx not working, but X does

I am running the unstable branch of debian and everything was great until I
did an upgrade and then "startx" broke. I tried downgrading a bunch of
packages that I thought were related (including xbase-clients, which created
startx).

To start X, I can do:
$ X&
$ DISPLAY=:0 kde2

If I do that, than X starts and dies 3 times, then starts again and brings up
the kde splash screen (but doesn't set the background around the splash
screen to grey, which it did before). Once I am actually in, I can't tell the
difference. The logfile didn't hint at an error, but ends with a message
about the mouse ("(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Mouse"
(type: MOUSE)").

I appreciate any help.
	Jeff Davis