Re: Progeny Report: Don't try installing it in VMWare

"Brooks R. Robinson" wrote:

>         At this point I _may_ have screwed up the install, but I'm going to tell it
> as I did it.  There is a script that runs called 'discover' that does it's
> hardware detection.  The file is attached.  Basically, it runs through
> everything is /lib/modules/<kernal_ver>/ and tries to load it into the
> kernel.  How slick is that!?!

i wouldn't want my distro to do that..randomly trying to insert drivers can
cause lockups pretty easily i think(ive tried it before myself and got it
sometimes)

>         I suspected that it wasn't going to get it right, well, because it's
> VMWare, and chose SVGA, jumped through a bunch of hoops and it didn't work.
> I ran through this twice (there was no option for plain VGA), so I told it
> to skip it.  Well, it complained a lot and said it wasn't going to finish
> until it had done it's graphical bit.

i haven't seen news on it recently but last i heard VMWARE does NOT support
xfree4 in the guest OS, and from what i saw progeny comes with X 4. i suspect
if you can find xfree 3 debs for progeny/woody it would work. of course be
sure
to download the VMWare driver from vmware's site as well..

>         Having manually edited /etc/network/interfaces, I'm going.  Still no X.  Oh
> well, this has been an adventure in nothing.  I've also attached the output
> of 'dpkg -l' to show what packages it thinks it needs out of the box.
> Someone may find it interesting.

could be worse, last time i tried to install corel linux second edition
the installer loaded great -- in 320x200 (or some really small resolution)
the installer didn't have virtual X scrolling so it was *impossible* to
find the buttons to click on since they were not on the screen, corel linux
1.0 worked great though. as for X, try to use the 16color VGA driver i
bet it will work, even though you'll be locked into 640x480 :) if solaris
7 works in vmware(it is unsupported) im sure progeny can work without too
much hacking :)

nate

--
:::