Re: /boot/System.map-2.2.18pre21

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 05:19:07AM -0700, Rick Commo wrote:
> Ahhh...
>
> This brings up another question I've been gnawing on.
>
> If you have three kernels in, say, /hda1/boot - they could be for different
> distros on different partitions, or just different custom kernels.

it can be messy, redhat distros screw around making System.map ->
System.map-X.X.XX symlinks which is retarded and wrong.

> Should you have a System.map-x.x.y file for each?

System.map is looked for like so:

/boot/System.map-`uname -r`

so make sure you have matching System.map files and NO stupid
symlinks.

> What other files need to be there on a per kernel basis?

/lib/modules/`uname -r` needs to the match the kernel in question.

in short i think sharing /boot across distributions is a bad idea, too
many distributions are too broken in fscking things up in /boot for it
to work very well.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/