Re: /boot/System.map-2.2.18pre21

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 04:36, Ethan Benson wrote:

> in short i think sharing /boot across distributions is a bad idea, too
> many distributions are too broken in fscking things up in /boot for it
> to work very well.

That may be a little too harsh. I agree that sharing /boot directly is a
Bad Idea (TM), but with just a little fiddling it can be useful as a
"lilo base directory". I have, for example,

/boot/rescue/
/boot/potato/
/boot/rock/
/boot/lilo/

/etc/lilo.conf is a symlink to /boot/lilo/lilo.conf. The contents
of /boot/whatever/ are what would be in /boot/ on that particular
distribution. Those things that _MUST_ reside in /boot/ for lilo to work
are symlinks to files in /boot/potato/, my primary distribution, and
the one from which I usually run lilo. /boot/ need not even be mounted
unless you're doing maintenance (e.g., running lilo) on it.

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\