Re: Should arrogant, self-important people be encouraged to use Linux?

On Thursday 12 April 2001 10:08, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> So...arrogant newbie whiners should be tolerated?

Yes - as hard as it is to handle, but yes.

> Let's face it, the thing that pissed most people off about the user
> who stared this thread wasn't that he mentioned that Linux documentation
> needs help for new users

Shame that it pissed off "most users". I felt it was a delightful note that
brought both humor and his problem to light.

>but in the same breath told everyone that he had no intention
> of actually helping with the same.

Fact of life. Someone GAVE me debian slink - out of the blue, computer and
all! How could I turn it down?! I didn't like it, but it was a gift! I did
learn to find the *man* stuff. Now, if I had asked for help, I don't think I
would even consider *doing* or *giving back* to linux. I just wanted to know
what slink did! :)

When I learned to speak Morse code, I wasn't doing it for the *love of code*
but to upgrade my license. It was pure happenstance that I fell in love with
the code along the way. . .

Same holds for newbies. They don't give a rip about FREEDOM because most of
them haven't even learned what freedom means when applied to software. Yet,
somewhere along the way, they may learn.

Mr. Stokes seems like a great person to me, just like Mr. Kmself! I really
value opinions and both of these individuals have them in abundance!

I think Mr. Stokes could be VERY valuable to the linux cause, in time. I
don't think however, that we should take a newbie and request them to start a
documentation effort. . . . <giggling at the concept>

I have had help plastered in my face. Just a week or two ago, I attempted to
help a fellow with his ppp problems. In the end, I received a terse email
that pretty much told me what I could do with linux. I really don't think he
actually had read my note. He had been flamed because he was giving up on the
whole effort and sent a nasty note to of all places - debian-user@. . . . .
He would of received my note along with 30 or 40 nasty replies to his nasty
reply . . . oh . . .

I am not slowly giving back. Packages have been compiled on my lil' box and
presented to the world at large. A tiny contribution, but it's what I could
do! I also have shared linux with at least a dozen people locally, and a few
found it so wonderful, it's the only OS they boot! I win because they did.

frustration just brings the best and the worst out of people - that's part of
being *human*.

> I don't know Karsten, but I have a feeling that I'd like him if
> I met him.

ditto

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> "Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
> should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
> and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
> can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
> "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart

Outstanding sig.

tatah

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls/TELE: USA-707-442-6579\/A GNU-Debian linux user
Email: ke6sls@arrl.net WEB: http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls ICQ: 12741145