Re: Should arrogant, self-important people be encouraged to useLinux?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 tom@tomd.org wrote:

> > > Ok.  >plonk<
> >
> > Ok, so let me get this straight.  Calling people "dumb lazy idiots" for
> > wanting decent documentation is OK, but calling people on being arrogant is
> > not.  Makes sense to me...  Thanks for helping to prove my point regarding
> > why the stereotype of the stuck-up Linux user persists.
>
> So...arrogant newbie whiners should be tolerated?
>
> Let's face it, the thing that pissed most people off about the user
> who stared this thread wasn't that he mentioned that Linux documentation
> needs help for new users - I think we'd all agree that's true to
> some extent. (We'd quibble on the degree, but no one here is arguing
> it's perfect.)

I think the reason a lot of newbies start ranting on the list is because they
come over from M$ where bitching about software is the only thing you can do
(and you usually get a sympathetic ear).  The idea of an OS of the people by the
people for the people is a totally froeign concept to most people.  In my
experience you get people to quit bitching faster by sympathizing (I bet there's
not a single person who didn't get bullsh*t the first time they did an install)
and then assuring that the installation process is a good learning experience.
If you just pluk 'em right off the bat that's one less convert in the world.

later,
dixon