can't log in as normal user

Ever since I ran apt-get upgrade and got the new XFree86 4.0.2-13 packages, I can't log in to gdm as a normal user, though I can now as root since I commented out the "use-ssh-agent" line in Xsession.options file.

When I try to use just startx from the command line, I'm told "user doesn't have authority to start X server".  Can someone tell me which file permissions have been changed and what I should do to change this back to norma?