Re: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 05:46:05PM -0400, Glenn Becker wrote:
> I have followed this discussion with great interest. It's been really
> lively! :-)
>
> I hardly consider myself to have achieved 'power user' status. I started
> with Slackware Linux in late 1998. At this time I never touch Windows and
> do not miss it.
>
> My initial reaction to what was -- I do not argue -- an avalanche of
> things-to-learn often *did* swing over to the "totally overwhelmed
> and frustrated" side of things; *however,* I did and still do feel that
> the *challenge* of overcoming the problems to the best of my abilities has
> been the most exciting and profitable learning experience I have ever
> enjoyed.
>
> I say this happily granting that it may not be for everyone. It especially
> may not be "right" if what you are doing is a Something that has to get
> done tomorrow. On the other hand, if what you're looking for is a new way
> to see and to use the box at your feet (or by your side, or ...) there is
> no better way to go that I know of ... it is truly transforming.
>
> This is not an apology for allusive, obfuscatory or even "bad" writing in
> docs. I've seen my share of that. But the soul of the experience (if I can
> use that crappy tattered word) is experiment: of trying things out and
> seeing what they do. I've not been nearly brave or smart enough, but my
> experience with various Linux-es, and especially Debian, has made me a
> much more effective do-er.
>
> Glenn Becker

okay. you're another candidate for newbiedoc-membership.

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/newbiedoc/

pick a topic that bugged you, and expose the basics for
tomorrow's newbie. (like me.) we need all the help we can get!

--
americans should never read anything so subversive as what's at
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com