Re: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

>> imagine how much hair-pulling you'll save the next poor soul if
> you document what you learned... hmm?<
>
> Ahh, but I'm not a Linux or Free-Software devotee.

This is where you lose the sympathy of a lot of people.  You've identified
a problem and you want other people to spend their time and energy on it
but you're not willing to spend any yourself.  Will suggested an eminently
sensible solution, you said you couldn't be bothered.<

There are people who care deeply about Linux and Free Software.   I am not
one of them.  I wish Linux the best, but I'm not ready to invest hours of my
time writing doc.

 You may think of me a selfish bastard, because I want to use Linux, but I
don't want to help build it.   My viewpoint is different.  I thought the
Free Software people didn't want payment, but now I'm supposed to have a
guilt trip if I don't write doc?

  Or perhaps it is because I have a suggestion, that makes me a selfish
bastard?   I'm hardly suggesting newbie doc because I expect somebody to
write it and give to me.  By the time anybody had a decent Linux help system
done, I would either be enough of an expert to not need it, or have dumped
Linux a long time ago.

  As I said, I merely installed Linux on a resurrected computer that had
been retired as a lark.  I'm not a devotee.   However, it really struck me
that a crucial ingredient to Linux's success is missing.   What I'm trying
to do is be helpful.  Kind of like saying, 'Hey, pal, I don't know if you
noticed or not, but your boots are the wrong feet.'

 THe response might be.  'Shut up, you loser.  I can wear my boots on my
hands if I want to.', or the response might be, 'So that's why my boots
haven't been that successful.  They hurt my feet like crazy!'.   In either
case, I wouldn't help the man take of his boots and put them on the right
way, and most men wouldn't want my help.

  Linux is painful for newbies, and there is no good reason for it.   And
this hurts the acceptance of Linux.    Anyway, I will now shut up about it.
Thanks again for all the time and energy you have spent helping me, and I
hope I have not earned a reputation as a pariah who is stupid, lazy and
selfish, since I will no doubt need more help...

Kevin Stokes