Re: Installation Problem (Debian Linux)

on Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 05:13:05AM +0000, sujit_pandit@chequemail.com (sujit_pandit@chequemail.com) wrote:
> Dear Sir,

Not so formal here, Sujit.

> I have a PC with 20GB Hard disk, 810 Intel Chipset Motherboard and
> P-III 700 CPU. In my hard disk, there are two partition, First
> partition (i.e Pri. Dos portion) contain Windows'98 OS. I have already
> installed Debian Linux in my Second Partition, after installation I am
> facing various problem, please solve my proble.
>
> Problem 1: After Installation ( your mentioned procedure which was
> avalable in your CD) , I found that all the files are not installed.

Which files, specifically, aren't installed?  Did you run out of space
in your GNU/Linux partition(s)?

20GB should give you plenty of room for both GNU/Linux and Legacy MS
Windows -- I'd try to allocate at least 6GB to a GNU/Linux installation
for a full featured install.  You might also want to review my notes on
partitioning at http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html
How much space are you giving GNU/Linux?

Run the following commands as root and post BOTH command AND output back
to this list in response to this message:

    $ df
    $ mount
    $ fdisk -l /dev/hda		# substitute for your actual physical
				# drive as necessary, e.g.: /dev/hdb,
				# /dev/sda, etc.

> Problem 2: Xwindow is not working.There I found a error message.

You'll have to post the commands and/or methods you're running, error
message(s), and/or relevant log output.

But let's resolve the installation problem first, it's possible that
this is related.

Cheers.