XFree4 startup error: PEXExtensionInit

I've been running Sid for ~1 month without any trouble, but today when I
bootup my computer and tried to 'startx', I got a bizarre message which
results in X not starting up.

>From my log, I get:
[snip]
   (==) MGA(0): Backing store disabled
   (==) MGA(0): Silken mouse enabled
   (**) MGA(0): DPMS enabled
   (II) MGA(0): Using overlay video
   (II) MGA(0): direct rendering disabled
   PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
   (II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
   (**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
   (**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
   (==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
   (**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
   (**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
   (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type:
   MOUSE)

   waiting for X server to shut down

I've tried editing my 'XF86Config-4' file in various ways, such as
commenting out
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"
which has no effect and results in the same error.

And I've tried commenting out
	Load	"pex5"
which results in the PEXExtensionInit error disappearing, but no new
errors appearing, and the server still not starting up.

Any Ideas?

--
Jeremiah