Re: Debian/Woody broke StarOffice 5.2

on Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 10:16:10AM -0400, James D. Freels (freelsjd@ornl.gov) wrote:
> It is the only application, commercial or otherwise, that I have found
> that does not work for me under Debian/Woody.  I suspect it needs an
> older library that got overridden.  Does anyone have, or know where to
> get, a dependency listing for StarOffice 5.2.  I also tried installing
> a recent snapshot binary of openoffice and it also failed.  I supose I
> could build openoffice from source at last resort, but I am trying to
> avoid.
>
> The main thing I need StarOffice for is to read M$-Word .doc files.
> Abiword can do some of them, but not all, nor as well, as StarOffice.

There are some problems with StarOffice, that bloated stuck pig of an
office suite, currently under Woody/Sid, discussed in the mailing list
recently.

If you *need* stable functionality, stick to Potato.

I've played with OpenOffice, but a ways back.  It wass definitely *not*
prime-time as of November.

Otherwise, request your correspondants send you documents in open,
portable, file formats.