Re: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 05:00:24PM -0400, Kevin Stokes wrote:
> >> imagine how much hair-pulling you'll save the next poor soul if
> > you document what you learned... hmm?<
> >
> > Ahh, but I'm not a Linux or Free-Software devotee.
>
> This is where you lose the sympathy of a lot of people.  You've identified
> a problem and you want other people to spend their time and energy on it
> but you're not willing to spend any yourself.  Will suggested an eminently
> sensible solution, you said you couldn't be bothered.<
>
> There are people who care deeply about Linux and Free Software.   I am not
> one of them.  I wish Linux the best, but I'm not ready to invest hours of my
> time writing doc.
>
>  You may think of me a selfish bastard, because I want to use Linux, but I
> don't want to help build it.   My viewpoint is different.  I thought the
> Free Software people didn't want payment, but now I'm supposed to have a
> guilt trip if I don't write doc?

Free Software is about freedom to use the software as you see fit, and
has nothing to do with the cost of the software, monetary or
otherwise.

The fact that Free Software is often available for little to no
monetary cost is happenstance; it's not a core value of Free Software.

Use what allows you to get the most done.  If that's Windows, fine.
You say you want to use Linux ... why?  If you're not willing to learn
it seems pointless.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.