Re: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 11:36:25AM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Kevin Stokes wrote:
> > and have spent far to much time on postings about this anyway.   I
> > realize that my words aren't going to turn the lights on by themselves.  But
> > perhaps over time as more newbies vocalize their suprise at the lack of any
> > offical information directed at their level, one of the devotees will decide

> > to reapportion the Linux development effort a little.  Not because they want

> > to help the poor helpless newbies, but because by reapportioning the group
> > effort, the group could come closer to accomplishing their goal.

the effort that goes into linux -- and debian -- is from people
who look a lot like that fella in the mirror (except taller, or
shorter, and much better looking) who "got fire in the belly" and
an interest in A) helping out or B) thundering down through the
ages as a mystic sage who brought linux down from the mountain.

> Documentation requires nothing more than a basic command of English (or
> other languages let's not forget the international audience)  and a
> willingness to write down what you did to solve a particular problem.  As
> more people do that, it will get easier and easier for future newbies.

and time. (i think this is kevin's objection.)

here we get back to "linux is free -- if your time is worth
nothing" :)

> The concept that seems to be eluding you is that YOU are as much a part of
> the group as Linus Torvalds himself.  There is no coordinator or central
> body who says we're going to spend x amount of time on this or that.
> People who are involved in Linux do so either because it amuses them or to
> fulfill some need.  You've identified a problem, do something about it!

or do like i do -- whine at people for whining, then bully them
into spending time writing a newbiedoc (gets them away from the
list for a while, anyhow), and then take all the credit for their
work. hmm?

--
americans should never read anything so subversive as what's at
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com