Re: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

>and kevin, when the light goes on, and all the fog clears,
imagine how much hair-pulling you'll save the next poor soul if
you document what you learned... hmm?<

Ahh, but I'm not a Linux or Free-Software devotee.    I would guess that the
Linux community doesn't just write software and doc for themselves;  They
would want their OS to grow and spread far and wide.   As I understand it,
the developers would want more people to use it, even if those people didn't
become disciples of Free Software themselves.

  I am one of them.  I resurrected an older machine and plopped a cheap HD
from Ebay in it.   I wanted to install Linux on it and then apache, and try
running a little web server with my cable modem.   I did not want to become
a Linux Guru, although I am very open to the idea of using Linux more often.
However, it has been two weeks, and I've barely got Linux up and running.
Any attempt at fiddling ends in long hours of searching websites, email
archives and ends with begging for help from strangers via email.

   Yes, I could write good newbie doc.  But I'm extremely busy with my own
stuff, and have spent far to much time on postings about this anyway.   I
realize that my words aren't going to turn the lights on by themselves.  But
perhaps over time as more newbies vocalize their suprise at the lack of any
offical information directed at their level, one of the devotees will decide
to reapportion the Linux development effort a little.  Not because they want
to help the poor helpless newbies, but because by reapportioning the group
effort, the group could come closer to accomplishing their goal.

Kevin Stokes
Pie in the Sky Software
www.pieskysoft.com