From: Joris Lambrecht [mailto:jlambrec@landis.be]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 April 2001 1:52 PM
To: 'debian-user@lists.debian.org'
Subject: Buerk : newbie-debian-user@lists.debian.org

If i'm out of line someone please let me know, don't want to offend any
moderators.
I kept thinking about some post talking about a debian newbie mailinglist.

Why would we want that ? I think it's a rather fascist thing to do, i've
encountered this kind of nonsense on several other mailinglists and allways
feel bad about it.

Why make debian/linux or any other mailinglist an elite forum ? Can you
imagine yourself way back when you started out using linux giving advice to
people who were just trying their first install ? Bet you would have nuked a
couple of systems before you got things running smoothly. People who oppose
to newbies posting to a list should simply remove themselves from it or
write some mailfilter to filter out newbie messages.

I also wonder what the big deal is, if wouldn't take any intermediate user
too long to answer the type of questions newbies are asking would it ?

Maybe it would be a good idea for newbies to prefix there mails with NB : or
Newbie : just like there exists a habit of using OT : for off-topic
messages. This should also help out the people who simply don't want to be
bothered with newbie questions.

Regards,

Joris