Re: URGENT! help w/ Linux@work

Cameron Matheson wrote:
>Hey,
>
>I just finished installing Debian 2.2r2 at work (boss gave me
>permission), but I don't know how to get the net working through a
>gateway.  We have a linux server (192.168.0.1).  I added it to the
>/etc/network/interfaces file (as the gateway), but when I try to apt-get
>w/ http (for dist-upgrade), it can't connect to any servers.  Lynx
>doesn't work either.  What else do I have to do?  Please help, as I'm
>trying to make Linux look as good as it is.
>
>Thanks,
>Cameron Matheson

Cameron: The first thing I'd recommend to make GNU/Linux look
as-good-as-it-is, is to work with your network folks.  Ask co-workers
at workplace who run the network to collaborate on getting a Debian
box talking to the network.  The boss gave you permission, and now is
the time to work with on-site experts (as opposed to figuring it out
yourself in unknown territory).  (I speak from a bit of experience,
and if you're interested in hearing about some historical lessons,
feel free to email me in private).  After all, the spirit of
cooperation is essentially what makes GNU/Linux "look good."

Yours,
--
Rob Cymbala        2nd email:  rCymbala@yahoo.com
cymbaLa@Lafn.org   GnuPG/PGP:  www.Lafn.org/~cymbala/pubkey.html