Re: Printer

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 11:34:06PM -0700, Patrick Mauro wrote:
> I'll try this again.  I have been looking around on the internet and some
> old postings but all I've been able to find is snippets of what I want.
>
> My question is how do I set up a printer?  I'm running woody with the
> 2.2.19pre17 kernel (I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the 2.4's soon).  My
> printer is an espons stylus color 400.
>
> Right now I'm mid-way in the process of setting up CUPS.  Is this the way I
> want to go?  (I take it I just use my web browser and configure through
> that).  Or do I want to do something else?  Perhaps setting up printcap and
> all that?
>
> What does everyone thing would be the best packages to install, and how do I
> go about configuring them (assuming there's no basic configuration script
> that I run).

    CUPS is great if you're running a print server. It's not really necessary
if you just want to print. Install magicfilter and lpr. That's all I'm using
to print to my HP DeskJet 812C. I'm also using my gateway as a print server
via lpd. It's pretty simple really.

Client:
-------
lp|Remote printer entry:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=rabbit:\
        :rp=hpdj812c:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

Server:
-------
# This file was generated by /usr/sbin/magicfilterconfig.
#
lp|hpdj812c|HP DeskJet:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj812c:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/dj690c-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

    Works perfectly.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a