Re: Printer setup?

* Patrick Mauro <pmauro@engr.uvic.ca>, 20010410 08:40 +0200:
> I have an Epson Stylus Color 400.  I want to be able to use it with text,
> pictures, netscape, star office, etc... Well, everything.
>
> What do I do?  I've been reading vague references to CUPS, magicfilter,
> apsfilter, stp, etc, etc.
>
> Near as I can tell, I use stty -a and /etc/printcaps to set up my printer to
> accept plain text.  (any expansion on this would be great).

This wasn't necessary for my Epson Color 900 at work with CUPS (which
seems to support Epson quite well!), but YMMV!

> Do I just need to install some spooling software to deal with the conversion to
> postscript? (If so, is this what all this apsfilter, magicfilter, CUPS stuff is
> about?).
> What packages do I need to install and what are the general steps afterwards?

You also need Ghostscript ("apt-cache search gs"; prefer gs-aladdin,
don't forget the fonts) for aps-/magicfilter and lpr/lprng/... CUPS, on
the other hand, uses .ppd's (PS Printer Definitions, like drivers) and
its own spooling mechanism.

> >From what I've been reading, CUPS is supposed to be the easiest to set up, but
> is it what I want?

Probably, but I had some problems with the web interface, on potato (no
probs with testing though).

> I also have one more question, why does woody have such an old version of
> openSSH in it?  Why isn't it closer to 2.5 (I know, it's not sid, which has
> 2.5.2p2, but it's running the same version from potato).

Don't know :)

Good luck

Andre Berger                                [andre.berger@topmail.de]