Re: URGENT! help w/ Linux@work

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 06:45:02PM -0400, j.pepas@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> I think you need to setup something on the gateway machine like ipchains
> with MASQ (ip masquerading) to give your machine on the internal network
> access to the internet.
>
> Go to linuxdoc.org and look for howto's on IPCHAINS, MASQ, Firewalls,
> etc.  I am no expert on the matter, but that should give you a good start.

I don't know about that.  He never said that the box in question *was*
the gateway, he just said it needed to go through a gateway.  Of course,
that's the way everything (routers excepted) accesses the internet, so
it's really just a basic net access question.

At least, that was the impression I got from the mail.  It sounded like
there was another Linux box that was the gateway, but that isn't the one
he was asking about...

Cameron, I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong...

noah