Re: nis login problems

Andrew D Dixon wrote:

> The problem is that when I try to login with the username andrew.dixon
> on my Debian box the login fails.  It does fail differently then if
> I just give it a garbage login so I do believe that it is accessing the
> maps in some way.

did you follow the directions noted when you installed the nis package?
i.e. you have to have something like
+:::::::
in /etc/passwd
and
+:::
in /etc/group
(that may not be the right number of colons, check the docs)

for nis logins to work.. i use it on one debian 2.2 machine at work(client)
and the NIS server is a solaris machine, works great, i think the only
thing that doesn't work is changing the password from the client(although
i haven't tried it in months), since nobody but the IT staff can login
to it though its not an issue.

nate

--
:::