Re: Errors writing to /tmp

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 11:36:00AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 10:44:02AM -0500, Stephen E. Hargrove (stephen@virtual-attorney.com) wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Juergen Fiedler wrote:
> > >
> > > The only time this happened to me was when the partition that contains
> > > /tmp was almost full. You could be running out of inodes, also.
> > > What does df tell you about the partition?
> >
> > bah!  probably right about the time your were sending this, i executed a
> > df -h.  sure enough, my root partition was a 0% availability.
>
> One strong argument for making /tmp a separate partition from /.

If you don't want a whole partition for /tmp, you can put it under
/var, which is more likely to have its own partition and will be
bigger, as well.

10:53 $ ls -l /tmp
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Jul 19  2000 /tmp -> /var/tmp

Rob

--
I'd rather have two girls at 21 each than one girl at 42.
		-- W.C. Fields