Re: PC soft collection.

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, dim wrote:

> Hello All!
>
>   I'm looking for programs to be able to kill my windoze and using only
> Linux. There is a problem with it. I'm living in the region where to
> get Linux soft is a big problem. :( And I have internet almost only as
> a mail-service.
>   I don't know what the office,multimedia,design,3D design,table
> processing and other programs are good for Linux. And I can't just go
> to the shop and choose what I want - there is very little Linux soft
> CDs in our shops. Almost nothing. :(

that is because Linux is free, so they do not make much profit on it.

>   Tell me plz, what the programs can I try to obtain to be happy with
> Linux instead windoze? For example, what Linux programs are analogical
> to common windoze soft collection?

Staroffice can be used to substitute M$Office and it can read and write
M$ documents.
You can use latex and xfig in stead of PageMaker or Quark for DTP
You can use the Linux versions of Matlab and Maple, (if you need it)

I do not know which programs are available for design, 3d design e.d., but
there is 'wine' (WINdoze Emulator), so it might be safe to keep your
widoze partition as it is, so you can try to run your favorite windoze
progs under Linux.

>   Is there the programs (office, notebook, table) that can work with
> many different encodings?
Staroffice is capable of reading and writing a big variaty of formats.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan