Problems Configuring network on installation

Hi,
I'v been using Debian for a while, and I'm trying to help a friend install,
and we want to install over the network.  We made the rescue, root, and
drivers1 floppies and everything has gone smoothly up until the configuration
of the network.  The machine (HP with a Pentium I, 64MB RAM, 3 partitions,
windows(~900MB), linux native(~1000MB), and swap(128MB)) is on a university
LAN and under windows and previous linux installations manually configuring
the network has worked fine for the same machine.  However, after configuring
the network we get a message saying the network is configured but not
activated, and when attemptig to install the base system over network we are
told we have to configure the network first.  The rtl8139 module included
with the stable (4/8/01) floppy images is marked as having sucessfully
installed, which we are almost 100% certain is the correct driver for this
network card because of previous problems.

Is there some key step we are missing, or is this just some fluke of the
network or the card itself?

Thanks greatly,

-Dan