Re: Sparc boot disks

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 07:45:39AM -0400, Roderick Cummings wrote:
> I'm having trouble installing debian on an Ultra E1. I have (several times
> over the last couple of weeks) downloaded fresh copies of the rescue and
> driver-1 disk from the sun4u directory, and the root disk as well. I've
> written them to several different new disks.
>
> I get through to the part where I install the drivers disk onto the
> harddrive. It says, "This is disk 1 of 1 in the drv14-sun4u series
> 27-Nov-2000 13:18 EST, Wrong Disk This is from series drv14-sun4u, You need
> disk 1 of series the driver series [sic]"
>
> The rescue and drivers disks should match they both came from the same sun4u
> directory on ftp.debian.org, and the errors message doesn't make sense.
>
> What can I try to fix this? I can install on E1's with a CD, but the 2 E1's
> I have now, do not have a CD rom drive, the drives were stolen by someone
> from another department. I could probably find a temporary drive, but there
> must be something wrong with the boot disks or perhaps my brain is out of
> wack, and I don't realize something obvious.

im not sure about the floppy problem, but an alternate solution is
installing drivers via the single drivers.tgz tarball over the
network.  is the nic supported by the kernel as is? or do you need a
module first?  if you need a module first your stuck figuring out the
floppy problem, if not just tell dbootstrap to fetch the drivers via
http.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/