Re: /etc/network/interfaces

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 01:20:10PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 09:09:49AM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> |
> | I thought I understood runlevels but now I'm not so sure. Any help for
> | Debian runlevel explanation would be appreciated. In inittab I shows run
> | level two as default so does it go S,1,2 and why is S35networking in
> | rc0?
>
> On a Linux system, it only runs the runlevel you specify.  That would
> be
>
> S,2
>
> for boot.  If you are already in a runlevel and you switch it runs the K* stuff
> in the current level then the S* in the destination level.

<nitpick level=sorta>

in my potato /etc/init.d/rc script i've got

[snip]
  # Is there an rc directory for this new runlevel?
  if [ -d /etc/rc$runlevel.d ]
  then
	# First, run the KILL scripts.
	if [ $previous != N ]
	then
		for i in /etc/rc$runlevel.d/K[0-9][0-9]*
		do
			# Check if the script is there.
			[ ! -f $i ] && continue

			# Stop the service.
			startup $i stop
		done
	fi
	# Now run the START scripts for this runlevel.
	for i in /etc/rc$runlevel.d/S*
	do
		[ ! -f $i ] && continue
[snip]

indicating that when we ENTER a runlevel, first we run all its
KILL scripts, and then we run all its START scripts.

</nitpick>

the kill scripts are NOT run when exiting a runlevel, but rather
when entering. (that way you can make sure certain services are
DISABLED for runlevel N.)

--
does a brain cell think?

will@serensoft.com