Re: /etc/network/interfaces

"Stephen E. Hargrove" wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Mircea Luca wrote:
> >
> > amm....it is.IF you browse /etc/rcS.d you'll see S40networking .So if
> > you start pcmcia at 39(with S39 a symlink to /etc/init.d/pcmcia or
> > wahtever the script name is) in rcS.d you'll be just fine.I don't have
> > my laptop at home so can't tell
> > exactly but that's the idea.
> > rcS.d is executed first,then rc(0-6).d .Actually rc.boot is really the
> > first one but that is deprecated and it shouldn't be used.
> > man init
> > will tell you more about the boot process.
> >

> That did the trick.  Thanks!
I have a similar problem running stable using pcmcia and DHCP. I have
the following in relevent files in

/etc/rcS.d.
S35mountall.sh
S39dns-clean
S40hostname.sh
S40networking
S40pump

In /etc/rc0.d
S35networking

In /etc/rc1.d
S20single

In /etc/rc2.d
S11pcmcia
S14ppp
S20inetd
S50netatalk

Netatalk fails but pump must keep working as eventually eth0 comes up
but usually after the boot is complete and I have GDM running.

I thought I understood runlevels but now I'm not so sure. Any help for
Debian runlevel explanation would be appreciated. In inittab I shows run
level two as default so does it go S,1,2 and why is S35networking in
rc0?

Should I move dnsclean down towards 35 and insert pcmcia afterwords? If
I move the pcmcia up to S then do I also need to make sure that the K
scripts make sense as well. Is there a simple way to think of it.

Thanks,
Eric :-)