Installing Debian

I just recently bought a set of debian cd's and am now trying to install
debian on my pc. I have some experience installing Linux using redhat and I
have done some freeBSD installs so I am not totally new to this, but I can't
seem to make this work.

Every time I do an install and then do the reboot I get LIL at the boot
prompt. So for some reason Lilo is not being installed correctly on the MBR.
When I set up my partitions I have the / partition on sdba1 so I figure that
this should get Lilo installed on the first 1024 cylinders. Maybe not
though.

The other problem I am now having is that I get a message saying the X
server can't find my mouse. Can someone tell me what tool to use to
configure my mouse?

Thanks,

Aaron