Re: Mobile Computers

on Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 08:14:52PM -0700, Juan Alberto Cirez (acirez@hip2linux.com) wrote:
> Hello there. This question has nothing to do with qmail or ezmlm per
> say. but here it goes:
>
> I think it was sometime time last year when I saw an article in the
> Linux Journal about mobile computers. I think there were designed to use
> the CROUSE chip from Transmeta. There was several pictures of some of
      ^^^^^^
Most likely "Crusoe", after the Dafoe character.

> these computers (If we can call it that...). They seemed to be about
> the size of a book (8 inches wide by 12 inches long, I think). The
> looked like a cross between a PDA and one of those PADs used in the
> Star Trek shows, but bigger. They showed sceeenshots of the display
> and it showed full color graphics, etc...
>
> I think the article mentioned these products were going to be
> available by now...
>
> Does anyone remember this article and if so when on what issue of the
> Linux Journal was it in?
>
> Also any links to the sites where I can find information about buying
> one of those computers..

Try a Google search on "wearable computers".  There's an outfit
advertising related hardware in recent editions of LJ, L3 Systems,
http://www.l3sys.com/.  No idea how good they are, but I see their ad.

Linux Journal itself is available online with archives at
http://www.linuxjournal.com/.  Try searching there.