Moving to a new hd

A while ago a bought a new IDE hd for one of my Debian boxes,
hooked it up as hdb, moved /home, /usr, and /var there, but left
the root file system on hda1 (on the old drive). Now I want to
get rid of the old hd altogether (it's slow and noisy).

So, after performing some extensive surgery on a living Debian
system, I managed to repartition hdb from scratch (leaving
/dev/hdb1 unused) and got everything set up and working again.
But I have yet to move the root filesystem from hda1 to hdb1 and
hook up hdb as hda.

What's the usual procedure to do that without reinstalling? Some
step-by-step instructions would be very much appreciated. What is
puzzling me is how to move the specials in /dev/* (I guess cp -a
doesn't cut it, does it?) and how do I deal with LILO when
exchanging the drives.

TIA

--
Philipp Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>