Re: command for system beep?

Robert Voigt wrote:

> I want to write a shell script that beeps on a certain event. I don' want the
> output from the soundcard but from the system speaker, like when I do

  printf "ring a bell\a\n"

  it should work with both c printf function and printf program.

> something wrong. But it would be nice if I could make the sound shorter or
> longer than that, or two short sounds. What's the command for that?
> Btw, my system speaker seems too loud. Is there a way to control the volume
> in software (I haven't found it in the BIOS setup)?

  not really but there are some speaker audio drivers that do some black
magic so that it is possible to play audio files over system speaker
(it's not exactly CD quality, it has about 4 bits, maybe even less). I
don't think you want to go there:-)

	erik