Re: okay here's a more specific question to get me started on the alsa path

on Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 08:30:41AM -0400, Shawn Garbett (Shawn@Garbett.org) wrote:
> I'm really floundering getting alsa going. All the howto's, etc that
> I've read all recommend recompiling your kernel with soundsupport as the
> first step.

Building your own kernel is recommended.  While default kernels often
come with a bunch of default (or modular) functionality, rolling your
own both gives you yet more control over your system, reduces kernel
size (not as critical these days, but the kernel is non-swappable, and
remains in memory), and can avoid security issues imposed by modules
which are available but not used.

Less is more.

As intimidating as "compiling the kernel" sounds, it's a pretty
streamlined process.  Yes, you can get it wrong, but you'll most likely
recover pretty easily (hint:  old, known-good kernels, and boot disks,
are your friends).  The Debian kernel build process is really slick:
kernel, modules, installation, LILO, all in one swell foop.

Besides, it's fun.  Really!
</soapbox>

> I've got the 2.2.18pre21 kernel installed and working fine from Debian.
> Do I need to recompile, or can I just load soundcore as a module?
>
> If that's all that alsa is requiring, can I then just install and
> configure alsa? Is there some other reason to compile a kernel? It seems
> excessive to me that one would have to compile a kernel to install sound
> drivers.

If the modules are available and load, and sound works, then yes, that's
probably sufficient.  If not, see above.