Re: how do i chop wav files with sox

Quoting Carel Fellinger (cfelling@iae.nl):

> To me a track is (in the context of burning cd's) the entity that is
> burned on a cd in TrackAtOnce (TAO) mode.  The CD-standard prescribes
> two second pauses in between those tracks.  There are some writers
> that can produce gaps of different length (even 0), but not many.

Yes, but you are supposed to be able to eliminate the gaps by
recording in DAO mode (disc-at-once), and I think the fiddle is
that the track indicator is put into the previous track two seconds
before the end.

> When burning such a track it is quite feasable to combine several wave
> files on the fly to fill that one track without any pause in between
> those wav files.  Normally, for each track an entry is added to the
> TOC (table of contents, located at the beginning of the cd prior to
> any track).  But there is nothing stopping you from adding top-level
> indices to the TOC that point inside those `real' tracks.

You may be saying the same thing.

> And then there is this notion of tracks when *playing* audio cd's.
> Those tracks are the parts of the cd as decribed by the top-level
> indices in the TOC.
>
> So when I advised to use indices I ment to add entries to the TOC
> such that tracks (in the context of TAO-burning) got split up
> in tracks (in the context of audio-cd playing).

Fair enough. I thought you were talking about the second level of
audio index points, within the audio tracks.

BTW when splitting wav files, Jake, it's important to make sure they're
broken at 2352-byte boundaries so you don't get gaps between them.

Cheers,