xfree86 4.x and unstable

I have had to use unstable distribution as a couple of programs I need to
run require lots of versions only available in unstable.
now I have upgraded and all seems okay apart from my Xserver (took several
apt-get update/upgrades to get all dependencies working correctly),
but X doesn't work I run XF86Setup and it all configures fine run Xvidtune
all okay save n exit and then try and run x and get a file not found error?
Now I don't expect anyone to answer my question on how to get my x back up
and running key by key (but it would be nice)
but I looked at the xfree86 org website and they have not done a
configuration help file yet does anyone know of a good place to start for
newbie documentation on setting up the 4.x Xserver?

cheers Dean
 <<Dean Jackson (E-mail).vcf>>

This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp