Re: [OT] AMD Athlon fan

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 08:37:08AM -0400, Bob Brown wrote:
> The Athelon cpu runs very hot.  I had one on an Asus MB that toasted the
> whole shooting match cause the fan (came with the cpu in OEM packaging)
> broke off the socket and melted down the cpu.  I have since taken to
> installing monster fans and heat sinks.  That works fine.  When in
> doubt, throw it out.  Get the best fan you can.  I also cool the box
> with two additional vent fans.
> Best of luck.
> P.S. AMD sent out replacement (took two weeks) at no charge.  The main
> board was also replaced, but it took quite a bit of convincing and
> finger pointing to get it done.  (threats from NJ Attorney General's
> Office became necessary)
>
> jh wrote:
>
> > Hello all. I am setting up an AMD Athlon box and have a question about
> > the cpu fan. There is no brand name info on the fan box but the unit
> > itself says it is an ARX. My question concerns how the heatsink side
> > mounts to the processor. There seems to be white paper on that side that
> > is really stuck down. I thought there was some kind of adhesive under
> > it. I have torn it away in a small area revealing a white undersurface.
> > Also there is none of that heat gel that is sometimes included with a
> > new fan. There is no documentation accept what little mechanical
> > installation info is printed on the box. I want to install everything
> > right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. -Jeff H

I may be wrong, but I believe that white patch is like the thermal paste
you are not seeing. I think it melts onto the cpu when you first turn it on.
Check out the AMD website regarding installing heatsinks. I think it was
there that I had read this. I got the same thing, and after reading some I
just put it on. It has been working fine and Temputure is within acceptable
limits.

--
Kevin C. Smith             There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
smithkevinc@nettaxi.com    by reading. The few who learn by observation. The